Saturday, June 7, 2008

A little off topic but INTERESTING



Thursday night's chat was out of this world!!! It all started in the chat room where my classmates, instructor, Dr. Z & I were talking about our Emerging Technologies class. I also signed on to MeBeam. I just love MeBeam, it is so nice to see the people I am talking to. Lastly, some of us went into Second Life. All I can say about Second Life is WOW!!! Amazing to me how that all works. For those of you who don't know, Second Life is a virtual world where I can meet & chat with my classmates or pretty much anyone.

I was definitely an immigrant on Thursday night. It was hard to multitask and carry on 2-3 conversations at a time. I found myself sticking with the chat room at the beginning because that was "safe" for me. At times I can feel somewhat of a native but many times I find myself an immigrant. I love to learn new technologies though. I did venture out into Second Life. I did find it somewhat difficult to move around in Second Life but I learned. I think it will just take practice. I don't play any video games, but I think students would love this and would move around just fine!

I love the chat room. I wish (and maybe I will figure it out) I could incorporate this into my classroom. I beileve that more students would type what they are thinking because they do not have to speak out loud. You could certainly get more people involved in class discussions this way.

MeBeam is wonderful too. Not sure yet how I would incorporate this into the high school setting. Something would have to be done at night to get this to work but could be really neat once you would get it going.

Second Life I am not so sure about. I think students would enjoy it because it is similar to video games. Again something that could be beneficial but not sure how to incorporate it yet.

1 comment:

Dr. Z said...

Glad you enjoyed the multi-venue experience.

The biggest prob is trying to figure out how to think differently enough to use this different media.